Child Support

Illinois has adopted child support guidelines that consider the income of both parents as well as the number of overnights each parent has with the children. See also the article regarding child support in the Articles section of this website.

Certain expenses incurred for the children, such as unreimbursed medical expenses, medical insurance premiums and certain extracurricular activities are also considered and can be allocated between the parents.

Expenses for “Emancipated” Children

In Illinois, child support is paid until a child graduates from high school or turns 19, whichever occurs first – this state considers children “emancipated” at that point and child support ends. However, parents may be required to continue to contribute to the support of an emancipated child under certain circumstances. The most common are:

a) contributions to post-secondary education or college expenses; and

b) contributions to the support of disabled adult children.

For each of these circumstances, there are certain guidelines depending on the circumstances and facts impacting the family, the child and the parents. Even if an emancipated child is attending college, but still living at home, a support calculation and contribution by both parents may be appropriate.

Remember also, that if child support was calculated years ago and if there has been a substantial change in circumstances, such as an increase in one or both parent’s income, or the emancipation of a child since the original support order was entered, it may be prudent to consult with an attorney to assess whether it makes financial sense to have the child support payments modified.

Contact An Attorney Today

To speak with one of our experienced lawyers about this or any related issues, contact our office today.

Map & Directions